Thursday, September 8, 2011
Being an Adolescent
Why do I want to teach middle school? Because that's where it all begins. It's one of the most intense and miserable transitions students have to make. They start having to wake up an hour earlier and get penalized for being a second late to first hour. Classes switch, lockers jam, cliques form, hormones fly, anxieties ensue, and personal identity is waiting to be found. And that is only the beginning. No matter who or where they are, all teenagers have their trials to whatever extreme. I was there and I want to be there for the students who are there now. I want to show them how to use art as a means of empowerment as they discover the limitless possibilities it extends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm really psyched that you want to teach middle-school, and for the same reasons I do! I feel that teachers who don't invite individual thought and stick to the basics are passing up opportunities for students to do a lot of important internal thought-processing. Let's empower!!!
ReplyDeleteKathryn,
ReplyDeleteYour middle school (actually art teaching) philosphy is very crucial and carefully constructed! Can't wait to see you in action!
you are a brave soul for wanting to teach middle school but your reasons are outstanding. your students will be lucky to have you!!
ReplyDelete