Wednesday, September 7, 2011
This I Believe About Art Education...
Disney movies. They are composed of idealized, colorful imagery and fantastic stories. They are an escape from the real world. Students of all ages come into classrooms wishing they could walk right back out again and into a place that doesn't exist- a place where they don't have to deal with the reality of responsibilities, loss, break-ups, fights, eating disorders, addictions, etc. I know from experience that art can provide an escape, or better yet a confrontation of these issues as it is a powerful tool of expression. I know that my art classroom won't resemble a fairy tale world where dreams come true and problems disappear, but it will be a place where students will develop the confidence necessary to reach goals that they didn't previously believe they could attain. I believe that students can take what they learn from an art class, all their victories and apparent failures, and use those experiences to guide other areas of their lives. Regardless of the ideals I dream of art education being for all students, I know I will have students that want to, or actually throw their chairs at me in frustration. I know I will have students who cry over their mistakes. I know I will hear, "I can't," "I don't know how," and "I'm not good at art." This I believe... You can. You do. You are... you just don't know it yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"I believe that students can take what they learn from an art class, all their victories and apparent failures, and use those experiences to guide other areas of their lives. "
ReplyDeleteWow! This is so powerful. I believe that this statement is so true especially in a middle school or high school classroom. As students are struggling to figure out who they are as a person, art provides a specific outlet for students to work through struggles and achieve their own personal victories. This strength and realization CAN and WILL help them in other aspects of their personal lives, especially as a visual learner. :)
Yes, your idea that your art room will be more than a room but an active way to express and look at their problems is powerful! Making that community will be crucial--it will be positive, I am sure!
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN!! you are a wizard with a paintbrush and your words.
ReplyDelete"I know I will hear, "I can't," "I don't know how," and "I'm not good at art." This I believe... You can. You do. You are... you just don't know it yet."
I've already heard these things a million times in my field experience and I always try to find the best way to respond. I think I am honestly going to put a quote of this in my classroom!! thank you for this :)